Friday, April 26, 2013

FULL MOON RIDE ALONG THE PLATTE

Last night was the full moon, known as the Pink Moon. I rode the Platte river trail.

Full Pink Moon – April This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Other names for this month’s celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Full Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/full-moon-names/




























I started at the Alameda Light Rail Station and caught the 101 to the Mineral St. station, the end of the line. Take the bridge over Santa Fe.
 There is a ramp to ride down on the left just after the bridge.
 There is also a 7-11 just before the Platte, you can get air and power bars. The first time I went there all I saw was the crap candy but when I asked about power bars I was directed to the healthy candy options which included all the top brands.


 Sun starting to set on the Platte. 

Rehabilitation of the Platte in order to make it more natural.

Going past the Carson Nature Center.

Littleton Open Space.

Reynolds Landing.

Sun getting lower
 The Platte is a nice ride.
 There is a nature trail out that way, bikes are not allowed though.
 Pretty sunset tonight. Sun set at 7:49, Moon rise 8:04. Perfect.
This is a new picnic shelter.

























Interior shot.
 There's the Moon rising over the great plains.
 A little further along the trail passes the fabulous Hudson Gardens, jewel of the Platte. This is the snack shack, open during the Summer.
 Pink Moon rising over the Platte.
 Here's a little rest stop with benches and a table.
 Still farther down the trail is the memorial honoring the flight for life helicopter that crashed here in December 1997. All aboard were killed when the chopper hit power lines just after takeoff.  I always stop to pay my respects.

























It's right off the trail. It starts with a courtyard featuring the plaque above along with a fountain and bench featured below.
 The steps then lead to this stone path.
 The stone path leads to the crash site.
 There is a semi circle of stones that outline where the rotor hit.

 In December 1997 a drunk driver killed a woman and a girl in an accident on Santa Fe. A helicopter was called in to rescue the lone survivor. On takeoff it stuck the power lines on the other side of the river. All aboard were killed. What a tragedy.
 There's another stone bench at the crash site. One person ended seven lives that night.

























Aerial view of the crash site. Notice the power lines.


View Larger Map



 Random shot along the trail. You know who else used to ride the Platte River Trail? Kit Carson among many others.
 Almost to Denver now. I'm testing out my new camera. My 2007 model was so primitive compared to this one.
" Oh you crazy Moon look what you've done."  --Frank Sinatra
 Bridge over the Platte.
 I stopped at the Bear Creek confluence and sat quietly for a while, hoping to see some wildlife. Not tonight.
 I rode by the River Point at Sheridan mega box shopping center. Put my new camera on a tripod for this shot. My new camera is bigger and bulkier but it takes better pictures. So it's a trade off.

























Well that's about it. The key ingredients for a good moonlight ride are warm weather and clear skies. If you read my blog often you might have seen my December 2011 Moonlight ride on Sand Creek. Brrrr.

I rode on to Alameda where I got off. Denver has the bestest bike paths. What a great place to live. 

No comments: