Wednesday, March 28, 2012

UP CHERRY CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE

We've been having really nice weather lately. I wanted to ride a route I hadn't taken in a while. I decided on South Cherry Creek to North Cherry Creek.

I started way South. I took the light rail to Lincoln, the last stop on the line. I knew I could go East on Lincoln and hit the Cherry Creek path.

What I didn't know is that Lincoln is a road without sidewalks. WTF? Douglas County is one of the most affluent counties in the country and they don't do sidewalks. Really? 

So for four miles I rode on dirt, grass and the highway median. Here's some views:


There were sidewalks next to strip malls, but they ended at the property line.





























I did notice the RTD Lincoln & Jordan Park & Ride was right next to the Cherry Creek Trail in Parker. Next time I'll go that way.

 Just East of the Jordan & Lincoln Park & Ride I found Newlin Gulch. Head downhill to intersect with the Cherry Creek Trail.

Here we are on the Cherry Creek Trail headed downstream, or North.

You pass the site of an old train depot. Not much there anymore.

Under E-470 the trail goes.














There are a lot of wetlands along Cherry Creek.


Back in the day you used to go through double gates on either side of a pasture with horses in it. Now there are condos.











Condos and the Preble's Jumping Mouse that is.


































 Some real pretty sights along here.                                                                                                        


























Cottonwood Park is now open for business although non residents are apparently not welcome. Good thing they allowed me to roll on through.

























I also saw some new trails being constructed, opening in 2012!                                                                
 17 Mile house trail
 17 mile house trail, different view.
 Preservation Park Trail, that is new too.
 I ate my lunch on some secluded single track.

































Every so often there is a turn out with a picnic table.                                                                                  

























OK, here is where it got interesting.
 Cherry Creek gets diverted underground. See the water going into the culvert on the far right?

 This part of Cherry Creek is being recreated in a more natural fashion. It's pretty awesome.

Some great new trails being built in addition to making Cherry Creek more natural. Why does Denver just keep getting better and better?
 And with that of course I mean the greater Denver metroplex. Everyone around here is pro outdoors. Yay!

Here's a close up of the map of future attractions:

Cherry Creek bed getting a face lift.

It's a big project, this is going to be really cool when finished.

When the Creek re-emerges you can see the new sculpted bed. I assume those beige mats will sprout grass soon.

Some more pictures:


The result of all this work will be less erosion and better quality water reaching Cherry Creek Reservoir.


Here's a sign pointing to a new park and trail I'll have to visit.


A few years ago when this section was under construction I tried to ride it. My tires and brakes got so caked with mud I had to drag my bike into Cherry Creek and scrape off the mud with a stick. Took forever. I like this new smooth trail way better. This is the first ride on the East of Cherry Creek Reservoir where I didn't have to go on Parker Road for a portion.
All those big box stores are new too.

OK, now the trail hits Arapahoe and you lose the trail. Don't fret, turn left and go past the electrical sub station and look for the trail on the right. I tried going down this hill towards Cherry Creek but it stops right around the corner.                                                                                                                                  


















Another dead end. So I went the other way and kinda skirted the Country Club.













Follow this along the fence until you reach Jordan Road. Turn right.



Not far along Jordan you'll see the sign taking you back to Cherry Creek.
















And there you go. Welcome to Cherry Creek State Park.              




















Good ol' Cherry Creek State Park. I'm going to cross over the creek and head up the Eastern side this time. I almost always climb the face of the dam on the Western side. The Eastern way is a more gradual scenic climb.

Over the bridge and onto the double track trail.


Through the off leash park..

Plenty of dogs here on a Tuesday.
After the dog park there was a picnic shelter. I stopped for a power bar.
I saw a hawk and he saw me too.

I count five bird nests. There are hundreds in CCSP. You can only see them in winter.
What's this? Buds on a tree. Hey folks winter is over, here comes the green time.
Clinton lied about a consensual affair. No one died with the possible exception of Vince Foster.

George W Bush lied about WMD's and we were dragged into an illegal war where hundreds of thousands of  men women and children have died and continue to die.

Did Obama tell one specific lie or does he lie all the time? I'm curious. Anyone die as a result?

Today I took myself off the Organ donor program on the off chance my heart could end up in Dick Cheney. That guy will never die as long as he can get a fresh heart every few years.                                                

















Looking West to the Rockies over Cherry Creek Reservoir.
 I tend to take the path less traveled with it's inherent speed bumps.
 But the unused path has it's own beauty.
 Soon enough the old path merges with the modern path near the top of the dam.
 I found a group reserved picnic spot. It had everything. Hot & cold water, barbecues sink and large preparation areas and a bunch of tables.



And now we're almost out of CCSP. just a little farther .

 Those buildings represent Parker Road and the exit from CCSP.

Out of CCSP along Parker Road.

Down the hill to join Cherry Creek again.

Looking back you can see the light rail Nine Mile Station on the left.
Cross under the highway to JFK ball fields.
I found a babbling brook in JFK Park.
Said hi to my tree friends.

Then down the hill to Havana Avenue.
The construction under Havana is complete and the trail is open again.
Here's a shot of the new bridge and trail.
And one last shot as we head into Denver.
Remember the part of Cherry Creek where they were making it more natural? They should do that here too.
Cross over the Highline Canal.                                                                  

God Bless America
Entering Denver, YAY!
The trail winds along the creek.
 The unmistakable work of beavers.

So I rode along to where the Cherry Creek trail crossed under University, then rode up Alameda to home. Your final destination may vary. Great ride though. About 30 miles riding. I didn't start the Garmin till I stepped off the light rail. Four stars. I love Colorado and I love to enjoy these taxpayer funded bike paths. Thanks big purple. Please go blue in November.





No comments: