Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October 2011 Night Ride Around Cherry Creek Reservoir

Last night was perfect for a moonlight ride. The sun set @ 5:30 PM and the moon rose @ 4:34 PM.

So by 8:00 PM the moon was high and the sky was clear. I took the RTD light rail to the Nine Mile station. I caught it at the Alameda station.


 If you're boarding with a bike look for these.
Stand to keep your bike from moving. On the Portland Oregon light rail they have hooks at the end of each car so you can hang the front wheel and the rear goes into a slot. But this is ok, it was a 20 minute ride.
















Be sure to pay your fare or this guy will give you a ticket.












When you get off at Nine Mile go down the stairs or take the elevator down, then turn left through this tunnel. That's the Cherry Creek Trail right there. Turn left.


This is the trail entrance to Cherry Creek State Park. Cars have to pay, bikes don't.

The moon as seen from CCSP.
 9:02 PM. Cherry Creek State Park has year round camping but quiet time is at 10 PM. It's also the time the trail closes. On the right is my new light. Tiny but powerful.
Somehow I got off the trail I took last time. I'm not that familiar with CCSP. I thought about riding around Chatfield, which I know better, but the last part on the Highline Canal is sandy and a bitch to ride. Also much longer.

I found some fresh scat, Coyote was probably watching me.

Not much to photograph at night. Reflective signs are nice. I turned around when I saw this sign.

I took a short ride up Shop Creek.

Then on towards the Dam.

Sticks on a bench. I left them as I found them.
Here we are at the top of the Dam.
Now down across the front of the Dam.


It was a beautiful night but I forgot gloves, my hands were cold. I had originally intended to ride Cherry Creek Trail to University then head up Alameda to home, but the cold hands dictated I take the light rail back to Alameda station. 

It was a great ride. I found a new trail, Piney Creek. I went up about a mile, looks pretty cool. Will come back in the daytime.

Cherry Creek State Park is awesome day or night. At night in the moonlight I could ride with my headlight off. Tonight is the full moon but last night fit my schedule better.
Four Stars
















No comments: