Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 2011 Farmers High Line Canal Exploration

I've crossed the Farmers High Line Canal many times on my rides but I never rode it until today.





To get to the trail head I took an RTD #100 North from the Federal Center Park and Ride in Lakewood. I got off  at W 88th and Independence. Then rode North on Independence.




Here's a look up Independence. Curvy sidewalks.

I'm catching the trail as it begins within sight of Standley Lake. Way up there.







Trail head looking West to Standley Lake. Just a narrow footpath.
Trail head looking East, down hill. Here we go.














The canal has more waterfalls than any other I'm familiar with.        

 The trail surface varied from concrete to asphalt to dirt.
There was a lot of broken limbs from a recent snowstorm.
 Going down the trail you can glide long distances. I cruised over a mile at 9.7 to 10.2 MPH without pedaling once.
 The water is going downhill at a pretty good clip.
A lot of waterfalls.















Pretty soon you cross Wadsworth at Street Level. The FHC disappears for a bit. Cross Wadsworth and go down W 92nd Avenue. You even go by a Bicycle Village store in case you need something. So continue on the path next to W 92nd which goes over the BN Rail right of way. I wish I'd taken a picture from the bridge but I was lost at the time. It was my first time on the trail and I had my GPS but no map. There were a few stretches I had to explore a bit before finding the right way.

The rail line was in a deep cut and the FHC had to go under it. This picture attempts to show the water coming out of a pipe with the rails in the distance.


You can see the rails down there and the concrete surrounding the pipe.


Yes there it is, FHC again.



So I rode along W 92nd until I saw this. I wasn't about to stop now. I soon saw why this short section was closed.










Crappy bridge alert! I walked my bike across, I could feel it give under my weight. This bridge will be replaced before this section is opened again.

The closure only affected the first 50 feet of trail and continued unabated at W 92nd and N Pierce.

 It turns out FHC is an awesome trail. It travels through Westminster, Northglenn and Thornton and it's hard to get accurate complete trail information across all municipalities. Until now. Great ride, great views.



I hope you like dirt.
















It's a really natural experience.

















Coyote print. Good one too.


First you go under Westminster Blvd then you ride on it over US 36. We're leaving the FHC for a bit.













Here we're going over US 36 on Westminster Blvd.

Once you're over the bridge continue on the path until you reach Hyland Ponds Open Space.

Follow the path but stay to the left, away from the ponds.

After less than a mile you emerge onto W 104th and the large Westminster City Park. On the far side of the park is the Big Dry Creek Trail.

To get to the next section of the FHC you turn right on W 104th but I entered the park to snap a picture of the Armed Services Memorial first.

The flags were flying at half staff today.














Going up W 104th, Sheridan in the distance.



Going under Sheridan.


Still on W 104th, you'll see this sign. You go by two golf courses.

Once in a great while you see a sign confirming you're on the right trail.

Legacy Ridge Golf Course is the last you'll pass before re joining FHC.
 Almost to the turn off. Follow W104th until you get to King Street. Turn left on King St and follow it to W 107th

At King St. and W 107th you'll see this path. Take it. On the other side of the field is Legacy Ridge Parkway. Turn right.











The FHC trail starts again right after W 109th and Legacy Ridge.















There's the FHC on the left.













More storm damage.
 Going under Federal.






Animals you might see.


Still snowy in the shady spots.


I found a big old tree to have my lunch under.

Speaking of big old trees...


You get great views of the mountains all along this trail.




The city of Northglenn calls every trail the Greenway Trail. Very confusing.


Just past Federal there's a nice park with a lake.


It has a gazebo.


Nice Artwork.

Some are for sale, this one's not.
 I love boardwalk trails, this one leads to a picnic table. Too bad I just ate lunch.

























Very peaceful setting.

























 A lot of surface street crossings, a lot of diagonal cross walks.

Under I-25

Just past Malley St.













The much maligned Coyote and pups.

This one is for sale.

OK, now the FHC reaches E.B. Rains Jr. Memorial Park. Named after a Northglenn Police Officer who was killed in the line of duty in 1984.
























More great mountain views.
 More art work..















This one's for sale.

 FHC goes underground. It emerges about 100 feet away.

 To continue ride around the lake to the far side.

























On the far side of the lake the FHC continues.



When you get to W 120th, turn left and go to Grant. Go across W120th and continue on the FHC trail.













There is a little construction but no detours.



The first thing you see after W 120th is the big dish. Security is so tight they left a ladder next to the fence.


























Idyllic scenery.

 After W 120th we go from Northglenn to Thornton. The signage is much better in Thornton.


















Guess what? You're in Coyote country. ooooh.
 Another waterfall.















Through Thornton the trail is alternately called Signal Ditch or Farmers High Line Canal.















The trail goes over a train track.



Really a nice ride.
 OK, now we come to Thornton's Eastlake Heritage Trail. It refers to the Lee Lateral Ditch, a separate trail that branches off from the FHC trail in this park. I will ride both, Lee Lateral first.


This map shows the FHC and the LLD trails as the branch off in this park. Also pictured is Big Dry Creek above, Clear Creek and the South Platte below.

.
























Another big tree felled by that dang snow storm.

 This is cool, concrete farm animals.

A fake hand car to demonstrate the trails rail heritage.




OK, to do the LLD go straight next to the canal, which you may notice is dry. The FHC went underground and we'll catch up with that one later.
























The trail goes right between back yards.




Good drainage system.













This is as far as I could go on the LLD Trail. I turned around and went back to the Rail Heritage Park.
Also featured at E 136th was the Aquatic Center.

Going back down the Lee lateral Ditch Trail. wonderful.


When the split in the trail comes head East on York St. You'll hit the FHC trail in a couple of blocks.











And here we are, Signal Ditch, Farmers Highline Canal, a rose by any other name...

Signal Ditch Trail.
Tunnel.















More snow damage to a tree.

McMansion picnic shelter.















Beautiful Rocky Mountains again.



In Thornton even remote bike paths have streetlights. Trails open until 11:00 PM.



























Here we are at the end of the path. Some kids have built ramps to launch their bikes into the air. I did the same thing when I was 12 & 13. The border collie belongs to the resident of the private property the Farmers Highline Canal flows into who wandered over to say hi. He was a Veteran, 82nd Airborne, Viet Nam. He told me they plan to extend the trail but not along the FHC.


On the way back down the trail I took a picture of Lake Erie which was along the trail.












I rode back to W 120th & Washington to catch an RTD #12 to downtown. All went well until my bus ran a red light at 38th & Brighton and hit a car. I was worried my bike was bent. It wasn't. My bike was fine. The other bike had a bent rear wheel and possible bent frame. The bike rack sustained the brunt of the impact. I don't think the bus itself was harmed. I was really lucky my bike was unharmed. RTD is not responsible for bikes placed in their racks. If your bike gets crunched in an accident, stolen or falls off and gets run over RTD is not responsible. They consider the carrying of bikes as a courtesy. Good to know. Still I consider RTD bike racks an invaluable tool in bike path investigation.


























This one's out of focus but you can see how far to the right the bikes have moved. As soon as a bus has an accident a back up bus is dispatched from the central bus barn which was located only a couple miles away so they got here fast. I had trouble getting my bike out but a couple firemen helped and we got it out and I took the backup #12 downtown unscathed.

























Farmers Highline Canal has some bad parts but way more good parts and it's a four star ride.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you very much. This is the VERY BEST information I could find online about this trail. Greg 19 Feb. 2021