Monday, August 11, 2008

AUGUST 2008 Out & Back: Ralston Creek up, Clear Creek down

Well it's been well over a month since I've taken a bike ride. I had an arm injury that kept me off for two weeks, then we had a string of 23 days where the weather was 90 degrees or hotter.
When it's over 90 degrees I'd rather spend my time at the water park at Elitch Gardens.

So anyway I'm back. Yesterday I went up Ralston Creek to Golden then down Clear Creek.
I caught the RTD #31 at the transfer station at Federal & Colfax and got off at W. 60th.

www.rtd-denver.com
That's where Clear Creek goes under Federal. To get to the Ralston Creek confluence ride about two miles up Clear Creek.



Clear Creek running clear. The weather was fine, low 80's. Heavy rain was predicted for late afternoon, up to 3" per hour. I figured I might get some raging water pictures if that happened. It didn't.





Bridge over Clear Creek.



Over the Fisher Ditch.

I stopped to visit my big dead tree friend. I have a new theory on why the trees in this area were cut down. Water is a scarce commodity and this tree was right next to the Fisher Ditch. It probably drank a lot of water and was killed to save water for agriculture. There are other trees next to the ditch that have been cut down too. I can't think of any other reason.



Here's where Ralston Creek flows into Clear Creek. To go up Ralston take the white bridge. On the way back we'll come from under the bridge.


It's called Gold Strike Bridge and it's near the spot where Lewis Ralston discovered gold in 1850. Thus the name Ralston Creek. Gold Strike Park is right on the other side of the bridge..






Here's where the trail starts. If the creek starts to rise climb to higher ground.

From here to the cutoff to Golden it's about 11 miles. Then 4 miles or so to Clear Creek, then 15 miles or so back to Federal Ave.






I saw a freight train. This is the Colorado and Southern Railway right of way.







Ralston Creek gets high marks for scenery. There are parks all along the way.




Ralston is really a nice ride. I usually avoid riding on weekends but this was on a Sunday and there weren't many people on the trail.





There are a couple of spots where the trail ends and you ride through neighborhoods but the trail is well marked.





There is more bike path than the last time I rode Ralston. I admit it's been a few years.





Back on the street for a bit...










Go through another park...






Follow the signs...




And back on the trail.










I noticed a couple of paths that intersect with the Ralston Creek Trail. One is Leyden Creek Trail and the other is Union Street Trail.

Further investigation is required.
















Another park along Ralston Creek.






Storm clouds brewing, I hope to be headed down Clear Creek before it rains. At least I'd like to be past the dirt part that's coming up.

Getting close...





Yet another park, the aptly named Ralston Valley Park.




It sure is green along here.





Ralston Creek Trail is as nice as anything out there.







Here's the Church Ditch.

Clear Creek Trail, Ralston Creek Trail & Little Dry Creek Trail all cross Church Ditch at some point.

Now the trail goes through West Woods Golf Club featuring homes from the low 800's.


The sign warns about coyotes but all I saw were dozens of rabbits. Enough to sustain a significant coyote population.

West Woods Golf Club features three 9 hole golf courses with homes between the fairways. The bike path through this area is top notch.

As you go through the golf club the bike path intersects with the golf cart path numerous times.





Eventually you reach this bathroom. Watch for it because just after this you leave the trail. The Ralston Trail continues up to Tucker Lake & Blunn Reservoir.







Keep going up the trail, keep left here:





The big beige house is on Violet Way. Turn left on Violet Way.





Follow Violet way until you get to Virgil Way. Then turn left on Virgil.






Go a couple blocks to 64th.


On 64th turn right and go up a couple hundred yards.

The last time I did this there was singletrack at the end of a dirt road by the baseball fields but eveything's changed since then. Now there's a new road going into a park.





Take a left here and ride past the baseball fields to a huge soccer complex...



They obliterated any trace of the singletrack that led to the South Boulder Diversion Canal, which is the way to Golden.

You're looking at ten practice fields. there's one for games too with bleachers to the right of this photo.

I just rode through the parking lots untill I found the Van Bibber Creek Trail pictured here...

There's a lot of new construction up here since I rode last. Van Bibber looks brand new. I need to figure out how close it goes to Ralston, maybe there's an easier way to get here. Next time I'll do more exploring.


The Van Bibber leads to the South Boulder Diversion Canal.


Looking up the South Boulder Diversion Canal from the Van Bibber Creek Trail.


Looking down the South Boulder Diversion Canal. That's where we're going.

It's known as the Fairmont Trail.


It was hot and dusty and I was wishing for some of that rain that was forecast.














You follow the Diversion Canal for about 2.3 miles then don't blink or you'll miss it...





See that signpost on the left? I almost missed it myself.




Here's a close up. Follow the single track for about 300 feet.















Then you cross Easley Road and cross this bridge. It goes over Church Ditch. Good ol' Church Ditch. It's everywhere.










I was way up Little Dry Creek near Standley Lake a while back and I was at a store and I saw a truck with Church Ditch Company painted on the side. I should have gotten some stats from him. Next time.





Now we follow Church Ditch for a while. Church Ditch is flowing North, we're going South towards Golden.



It's nice to ride in the shade after 2.3 dusty miles in the sun.



There's even a mud zone along the trail.
This is the end of the trail. When you come to the road turn right. That is Salvia St. Follow Salvia to W 44th Ave.
You're going to turn left at 44th but if you turn right and go a quarter mile you'll see the Colorado Railroad Museum, definitely worth a visit. http://www.crrm.org/



I saw a historical marker along W. 44th. You ride about 3/4 of a mile along the highway until you get to McIntyre St. Then you turn right and go over highway 58.
After you cross 58 take the first left down this dead end. Remember "dead end" only applies to cars. The goal is those silos. You can see the silos from the end of Salvia St. so it's easy to stay oriented. At the bottom of the hill there is parking and access to Clear Creek Trail.
YAY, I made it! Now it's down Clear Creek lickety split!



This is Reno Ditch, one of many man made waterways in this area.


Here's Reno Ditch further upstream.








Clear Creek is diverted into reservoirs many times along the way.





Bird Island.





Another lake. Lots of water.






Here's the Clear Creek Trail at Kipling.










I always photograph this section, it looks so green.





By the time I got to the residential section it was raining pretty good.

And under the Ralston Creek bridge. Remember earlier we went over it and now were headed the other direction under the bridge.



I am now soaked to the skin but it feels great, it's still 80 degrees.

After passing the bridge I retrace my path to Federal Avenue, where I catch an RTD bus #31 back to Federal & Colfax. Then I transfer to another bus home. it was a great ride with some really nice scenery.

I give this round trip ride 4 stars out of 4.

No comments: