Wednesday, July 15, 2015

July 2015 Sand Creek Ride Holy Crap look who's back!

Wow it's been forever since I posted a bike path journey. I got a job that pays 30% more and I only work 4 days a week. You'd think I'd post more, but no. I'm going to change that now that I have a quad copter. This will allow me to offer a birds eye perspective to my trips and was just the incentive for me to visit all my favorite bike paths again.  Life is excellent.


Me at a park along the South Platte River Trail, flying my quad copter #djiphantom. I took an RTD 15L bus East on Colfax to Peoria Street to catch the Sand Creek. Conditions were somewhat sandy.


There are several points at which you can access the Sand Creek Trail. I was taking the Westernmost  and closest to Denver route, Head North on Peoria to get to the trail head.


There's the trail, right there. Peoria and E 25th Ave.

Soon you go past the Bluff Lake Nature Center.





I was interested in the point where the light rail from Union Station to DIA intersected with the Sand Creek bike path. It's in a "closed" section of trail that goes by where the huge runways that straddled Sand Creek when Stapleton  Airport was Denver's Airport. All that remain are the abutments that once held the weight of Jumbo Jets. When I first started riding Sand Creek this part of the runway was still here, it was a very long tunnel of sorts. On my last Sand Creek ride I saw a Coyote here. After the runway is the new light rail crossing. Anxious to see what's up.


There was a way to get under the light rail route but not the way I chose, at least not yet. I was able to carry my bike over the rockery to where the trail began again.. I noticed a dirt trail that came from the left side of the bridge in the foreground.


There it is, you just have a small inconvenience.


Sand Creek Trail interruption is minimal.


Sand Creek Trail

Flying above Sand Creek


The obligatory photo of the Sapp Bros Truck Stop.




I saw this Egret several times along Sand Creek.


Drone Selfie

A new perspective of Sand Creek.


Storm Clouds in the distance. Nary a drop on me. Still I caught a #12 RTD bus back to Denver not long after I hit the Platte River Trail. Thank God for smart phones.


It felt really good to get out there again. Looks like it's going to be an awesome Summer!

Sand Creek is a 4 star ride, as always. 

No comments: