Sunday, March 8, 2009

DUTCH CREEK EXPLORATION MARCH 2009

To get to Dutch Creek Trail look for this sports facility. You'll see it as you ride the Platte River Trail near Littleton. Take the trail off the Platte on the West side of this structure.






I found Dutch Creek about a year ago. At least I found some pictures on the Internet. I didn't actually attempt to ride it until this week. I have a Garmin GPS device on my bike loaded with Mapsource map software. It showed Dutch Creek and approximately where it flows into the Platte River. I decided to start there. I took the light rail to downtown Littleton. I went to the spot Dutch Creek disappeared on my map, S Lowell & W Berry Ave. Nothing. I did find a stature honoring Danny Dietz, Navy Seal.
Myself I'm a pacifist. I'm against violence in any circumstance.

But I can still honor Danny's sacrifice. God bless you. Poor guy only lived 25 years. I figure Dutch Creek was underground at this point because although it showed on my GPS it was not visible.




I backtracked along South Lowell Boulevard until I found this trail.

It goes along South Platte Canyon Road. To get to Dutch Creek turn right on Coal Mine Avenue.

This shows some trails but not Dutch Creek.





There's a shot of Dutch Creek but the trail doesn't meet Dutch Creek for a mile more.


Follow Coal Mine Avenue to one block West of Glenview Drive and turn right on South Sheridan. My map software says it's a county line too. The Dutch Creek Trail starts at the end of that road.



Detail on the improvements they've made on this trail.




New path, concrete in excellent shape.




Dutch Creek.



Tunnel under a road.


I saw some scat, looked like a feather was sticking out the end. Coyote?
If you click to enlarge you can see two bird heads complete with beaks in the center, kinda gross but that proves Coyote theory.





Dutch Creek Trail kinda winds along.




Here's another tunnel.





Interior shot.




Tamed Dutch Creek within concrete borders.





I went through another tunnel, this one under S. Kipling.




Just after Kipling the trail ends.


I turned around and rode back.




On the way down I noticed townhomes made of ticky tacky. A few days later I rode Dutch Creek again, this time from the top down. You take RTD #76 to Kipling & Coal Mine road, the end of the line. Then you ride South next to Kipling a short bit to the Dutch Creek Trail. Then I rode the Platte River Trail to Denver.
I'm older than I used to be so I find myself bussing to the top of a trail and riding down a lot these days. No shame, it's still excercise.

1 comment:

JohnT said...

Thanks for the blog. I live in Highlands Ranch and frequently ride around Chatfield and parts of the Highline and C-470 trails, but I've never fully explored them - I was especially interested in the Lee Gulch trail you have in one of your posts. Excellent! I'll check in from time to time and see what's new.

John