Thursday, June 3, 2010

JUNE 2010 Bear Creek Trail Exploration

 It's been too long since I rode the Bear Creek Trail. To get to Bear Creek Lake Park take the RTD #21 West bound. You can catch it at Evans & Broadway. To plot your course go to www.rtd-denver.com  The point is get on the #21 and get off at W Yale and Deframe. The driver may not know that street, it's the last stop before Bear Creek Blvd. They'll know that. Remember Andy Deframe from The Shawshank Redemption? That's a good way to remember.


 Once you're off the bus go downhill to Bear Creek Blvd, turn left and continue downhill to Morrison Road. At Morrison Road turn right and continue downhill on the bike path. Here's a shot of Bear Creek & Morrison.
 Look on the left about a quarter mile down the path and you'll see the no parking signs and the gate. You might need to click this pic to enlarge it.
 Here's the gate. There are two single track trail heads here. One you can see next to the gate. I took that one last time and skirted the lake in favor of single track going directly to the dam and over the dam. Today we're going to circle the reservoir on single track then go over the dam and on to Denver. I took the one to the right of this picture.
 Here we go, this is an awesome ride.
 Our trail lies on the West side of the Ward Canal.
 Here's the trail but something really cool happened as I started down. Two Red Tail Hawks were being attacked in mid air by two Magpies. They forced the Hawks to land on the other side of the ravine. They eventually retreated to a tree and the Magpies went in there too. I could see some movement but couldn't see what was going on.
 With my pocket size camera you can see the Magpie just above the ridge near the center of this pic. He's  dive bombing and attacking the Hawk just below him & slightly to the right. Poor Hawk needs thermals to gain elevation while the much smaller Magpies just flap their wings furiously and can out maneuver the Hawks. I watched the aerial battle for a good 20 minutes.
 Here's another shot. You can't see much but you can see a speck in the middle.
 That was awesome, now for the bike trail. Bear Creek Lake Park may seem like a State Park but it's owned and operated by the city of Lakewood. It has 15 miles of dirt trails, three lakes, 2600 acres of nature, 5 reservable park shelters for group events and 47 campsites, all with electricity. I got that off the web site: www.lakewood.org/comres/page.cfm?ID=642 There's a yurt for rent too, I've stayed there. It's like two miles from Red Rocks. The Yurt sleeps 4.
 We're going to take the Mt. Carbon Loop trail most of the way.
 When you reach the lake you encounter roads. but only a couple before the single track resumes.
 Park road. Most of Mt. Carbon hidden by tree.
 Some parts of the Mt. Carbon Loop Trail allow horses. Lakewood in general likes horses, there are two horse corrals in the park and they can ride all the way to Denver if they want.
 Oh hey, there's Bear Creek, flowing wild before entering the reservoir. Nature is good.
 The city of Lakewood has spared no expense to deliver the most excellent single track experience. There are strategically placed benches and too numerous to count picnic areas. I'll show you a few but there were dozens along the trail.
 Woodland scenery.
 Bear Creek still above the reservoir. 
 You want a picnic in a meadow accessible only by non motorized means? You can do that in Bear Creek Park.
 All along the trail there are picnic tables in the middle of nowhere, or possibly in the direct center of somewhere, depending on how you look at it.
 There's some more.
 Another great picnic spot.
 Waterfall on Bear Creek above the reservoir.
 I saw humans mostly when I was near a road. The single track was all mine. I passed one biker in the 90 minutes I was in Bear Creek Lake Park.
 A map of Bear Creek Lake Park. Click to enlarge.
 Mt. Carbon Loop Trail was pretty sweet.
 Horse Corral on the left.
 OK so there's the 411 on the Bear Creek Reservoir.
 There were people fishing here. we're across the lake from where we entered. Almost to the dam.
 I caught a pelican with a squiggly treat.
 Here's a shot of Bear Creek farthest from the reservoir, this is where I crossed the creek and changed from westbound to eastbound.
 The single track led me to a quiet corner looking at Mt. Carbon.
 I saw a big bird nest near where I stopped.
 There it is right in the middle.
 This is a Red Tailed Hawk I saw on the South shore of Bear Creek Lake. Not the one being chased by the Magpie earlier. Indeed there was a Magpie perched on a fence nearby but was not interested in the Hawk. I think it was a territorial thing I saw earlier. A bird thing. Being a mammal I only have limited knowledge of the Avian lifestyle and habits and territorial behaviours but I saw a lot of Red Tailed Hawks and a fair amount of Magpies on this ride. I only saw animosity that one time. But that was a great sight to see.     
 Of course there's the requisite sign warning you about the Coyotes.
 Around here I turned off The Mt. Carbon Loop onto the Cottonwood Trail. It leads to the base of the dam.
 There's Mt. Carbon from the Cottonwood Trail.
 Here Cottonwood Trail meets the road at the base of the dam. Turn right to climb over the top.
 There is an old asphalt trail but there's also a new concrete trail.
 When they intersected I went up the new concrete.
 That's the concrete trail winding along, the asphalt trail is seen in the lower right corner where they meet.
 When you reach the top there is a water station, ice cold water compliments of the golf course that's located on Mt. Carbon's summit.
 A view from the top of Mt. Carbon. Two pictures showing the reservoir. You can see the Mt. Carbon Loop Trail in the foreground in both pics.  
 There's the beautiful city of Denver from Mt. Carbon. That's where we're headed.
 There's a picnic table to chill out before the next segment. This is looking West towards the Rockies.
 BCT, the good ol' Bear Creek Trail begins after the dam. Yay!
  Golf Course known as Fox Hollow. A few holes on the top of Mt Carbon, 5772' elevation.
 Going down Mt. Carbon there are golf carts. Stay in the bike lane, not the cart lane.
 Bikes to the left. You can see the Bear Creek greenway in the distance. Trees dot the BCT.
 Bikes and golf carts can coexist, just stay in your lane.
 Here the trail is near the bottom of the dam.
 That's Bear Creek emerging from the dam.
 Biker golfer interaction minimal on this ride.
 Here's the pretty excellent path provided by Fox Hollow Golft Course.
 There's a good map of Bear Creek Lake Park, thank you Lakewood.  I think the single track around Bear Creek Lake is the shiznit.
 Next up is the Bear Creek Trail and greenbelt. It's going to be great.
 Staying on the single track.
 Nice.
 The Stone House Trail.
 
 Bear Creek single track. The goods my friend.
 Bike bridge over Bear Creek next to waterfall.
 There's a last bit of country trails where horses are allowed, although mountain bike single track persists throughout Denver.
 Sorry horses, you cannot enter Denver
 Nice picnic shelter.
 Bear Valley Park.
 Mojo Wheels has a new mural on their building. Denver's best mountain bike store.
 These guys were sliding down the chute behind them in an inner tube. They asked me if I wanted to try it, I declined.
 There is an area under construction on the BCT, not far from the confluence with the Platte.
 Trail improvements.
 The detour went through a subdivision. As soon as I could I backtracked to the trail.
 And here we are.
 Here is the BCT under construction. It will be nice new concrete in another month or so.
 The dirt section is less than a mile.
 After you cross Federal the concrete resumes.
 Here's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I think the city should at least put reflective tape on this hazard.
 Here's a nice little park. Notice the drinking fountain has a water stop at dog level too.
 Almost to the Platte river now. I decided I'd earned myself a cold one. I stopped at Caroll's Corner Pub. Fat Tire in a bottle, $4.
Inside the Pub there was a part of the Goalpost taken down by fans after the Broncos won the AFC championship in 1977.
 I found a secret bench on a trail near the confluence of Bear Creek & the Platte. There's a little spit I sometimes hang out on.
 Possible coyote tracks.
 Here is Bear Creek emptying into the Platte River.
 Now we're on the Platte River Trail headed towards Denver.
 Suprise there's a new bridge leading to Little Dry Creek Trail. This is a diiferent Little Dry than the one that flows into Clear Creek.
 There's a new bridge and everything. I'm going to have to ride that trail soon.
 So almost home. I rode the Platte to Alameda then got off to go home. You're route may vary. The Bear Creek Trail is pretty much awesome and the Bear Creek Lake Park is really nice. I had a great ride and saw a bird battle. I can't wait to do this one again. This is a four star ride.

No comments: