Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 2010 Exploring Cherry Creek State Park

I was wondering why I hadn't circled the Cherry Creek reservoir before on my bicycle chronicles.  Well the last time I tried to pass on the East side there was construction and my bike got so caked in mud the wheels wouldn't turn, I had to drag that bike into the creek and used a stick to scrape away the mud. Took forever and although I posted pictures from that fiasco I took them down a few days later and posted an alternate route going to the West. This was all from an old post exploring the Upper Cherry Creek trail beyond the reservoir. I called it Upper Cherry Creek, The proper name is Cherry Creek North.


So today, we're going to ride around the reservoir and down the Cherry Creek to Denver.

First off, how to get there. I caught the H light rail to the Nine Mile stop. I got off, took the elevator down a floor. When you get out the pedestrian flow will be to the right, go to the left, up through the tunnel to the bike path. As soon as you get outside follow the signs. here's the actual entrance for bikers. People in cars have to pay, bikers don't. 
 So I took the perimeter trail, a fair distance from the lake. It was nice, lush rolling scenery.

 And a perfect day for a ride.
 In the distance you can see the dam and beyond that you see the Rocky Mountains.
  I'll tell you why I haven't ridden Cherry Creek State Park since the very first time I rode here over a decade ago. I had been riding along at a leisurely pace along the bike path when I had a violent collision with some psycho spandex speed demon who never said "on your left" who hit me when I was meandering along. It was very traumatic to have this guy yelling at me while I'm trying to get my breath back while dealing with fresh road rash. After the event one eyewitness told me I had done no wrong. I suffered severe injuries that took a long time to heal. Anyway old wounds sometimes fester. Cherry Creek State Park is awesome and as I put more time in here I might just get comfortable. 
  Sure is pretty along here.
 Cherry Creek State Park. A real treasure.
 Wetlands and we know what wetlands means. Wet lands. Literally. Good Bird habitat also. Cherry Creek State park has an extensive trail system with some single track opportunities.
 I was focused on circumnavigating the reservoir and missed some chances to sit and relax and commune with nature this time around. I did see some special places along my way though.
 like this section, see the dam in the distance?
 Cherry Creek Reservoir day use area
 To continue our journey the path leads up, over the dam.
 A nice look at the Marina and picnic areas.
 Almost to the top of the Dam.
 Then over the top. On the other side it's known as the Millennium Trail, it goes around the face of the dam and follows Cherry Creek.
 coming across the base of the dam towards Cherry Creek.
 Cherry Creek flows from the Cherry Creek Reservoir back into Cherry Creek.
 I was excited to see my old tree friends. It's been ages since we sat together. I visited these trees a few years ago. There was a fence between two of the three giant trees in the vicinity, so naturally I was concerned. So May 2010 update shows no more fence and no damage despite significant  changes in the background. I hung out for a while. I was really happy this group of tree friends survives and thrives! They're located near JFK park just after the dam.
 After JFK the trail drops precipitously into the confines of the lower Cherry Creek. Or Cherry Creek North, the proper name.
 Cherry Creek trail passes through the junction of the Highline Canal and the Cherry Creek.  
 Trees are our planet's lungs, inhaling Co2 and exhaling o2.
 Stay on the Cherry Creek trail towards Denver.
 You pass the Highline Canal Trail here. There's a nice park area.
 Soon you enter Denver.
 The path just winds along.
 You pass through Glendale, a town with only two single family residences. Everything else is apartments & condos.
 Cottonwood trees in bloom. That's about it. When the Cherry Creek path crossed University I got off and headed up Alameda to go home. A great ride, maybe I'll have to do this one again soon. I'd give it three of four stars. I'm still not over my collision from years ago. Today I had a really positive experience so maybe new memories will replace unpleasant ones.

No comments: